KELLY WHYNOT HOME STAGING & DESIGN
The Psychology of Colour in Home Staging (03.15.18)
Home staging is about attracting buyers to your home, helping them see its potential and preparing it to be sold for the highest price. It isn’t just about de-cluttering and making it presentable. Buyers walking into your personal space seek a feel-good vibe. They want to be inspired and feel all the comforts of the home, envisioning it as their ideal living space. And visual appeal will enhance their desire to purchase it.
Let’s face it, there’s psychology to buying and selling a home. And from a home staging point of view, colour can optimize the perceived value of the home. That’s why choosing décor colours that appeal to the masses is important.
The psychology of colour is based on the mental and emotional effects colour has on an individual. When prepping your home for sale, colour is one of the most powerful components. Why? The colours which surround a buyer can directly affect their mood and actions.
Here are some tips for using colour in home staging:
1. Neutralize the home’s core colour palette.
2. Accent it with colours that add character without distraction.
3. Choose gender neutral colours, avoiding pink, purple, red & neon.
4. Use accent colours (light blue, green, yellow, orange) to draw a buyer’s eye to the home’s positive attributes.
5. Use pillows, plants, tableware, accent chairs & artwork to rejuvenate spaces
6. Choose colours that are inviting & draw buyers to attractive spaces where they feel relaxed & confident to make a good buying decision.
7. Use neutral colours (white & taupe) to present a clean, pure appearance.
Your home stager will discuss using warm and cool colours to accentuate the home through the use of paint, furniture and accessories.
Here are the differences between warm and cool colours: Warm colours: (red, yellow & orange)
Deliver the warmth of sun or fire
Draw attention to specific areas/rooms
Yellow adds a refreshing look to any room
Often used as accents to pop out neutral shades
Cool colours: (blue, green & purple/violet)
Deliver calm, cool tones of natural things like water & grass
Make a room look & feel more relaxed
Blue serves as a soothing colour to bedrooms & bathrooms
Green provides balance, harmony & tranquility
Colour can be a powerful tool to motivate, encourage imagination and trigger positive emotional responses from buyers. Work with your home stager and use the right warm and cool colours to Strategize. Personalize. Visualize.
Whynot Home Staging & Design • Call Today 647.654.0491